Saturday, January 19

Ham Logs with Raisin Sauce

This one is for my brother DB, who loves ham so much that when he meditates, his mantra is "Haaammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!" I know he really misses good ol Midwest cookin, so I decided that this weekend should be a Hamtacular Spectacular.

It's also my Dad's birthday today, and he's an even bigger fan of ham than my brother. Happy birthday, Dad!

This recipe is courtesy of Mildred Sinnwell, and comes from the Immanuel Lutheran Dorcas Society's 1992 cookbook, Generations of Good Cookin.

Now if I could only get a copy of my brother's recipe for Pickle Surprise!

Ingredients:
1 lb. ground ham
1/2 lb. ground pork
3/4 c. milk
1/2 c. oatmeal
1 egg
2 tbsp. horseradish
1/2 tsp. salt & pepper

Raisin Sauce:
1 tbsp. corn starch
3/4 c. cold water
2 tbsp. lemon juice
2 tbsp. vinegar
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. raisins

Oven temp: 350 degrees

Pan size: standard bakin dish

How to:
Combine all ingredients; mix well. Shape into logs about 2-inches long. Place into bakin dish. Cover with raisin sauce. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes.

For Raisin Sauce: Mix water and corn starch; blend well. Add remainin ingredients. Cook until mixture is smooth, stir continually. Pour over ham logs. (Logically, wouldn't it make sense to tell us to make the sauce and set it aside BEFORE tellin us to "combine all ingredients"? I guess Mildred's just assumin that everyone knows how to make Ham Balls/Logs/Whatever and only a grade-A moron would put the sauce ingredients in with the rest of the stuff.)

No comments: