Monday, October 1

Zucchini Bars

For the love of Midwest Cookin, I seriously need to rid myself of some zucchini.

If you grow zucchini, then you know what I mean. It never ends! I've had plants bearin zucchini in my garden since May and I am sick to death of eatin it. Grilled, fried, baked, sauteed; in sauces, in soups, in stir fry. I have had ENOUGH of goddam zucchini. So what's a girl to do with all this zucchini at the end of the season?

To find the answer, I turned to Midwest cookbooks - and boy, did I find a lot of options! This week, I will be makin my best effort to use up this accursed zucchini (yeah, yeah, and "summer squash" too - though these are pretty interchangeable in my opinion). After cruisin through a couple of church cookbooks, I have come to the conclusion that I'm not the only one who's had the zucchini problem. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's where the inspiration for recipes like this came from.

Ingredients:
3/4 c. butter
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1+3/4 c. flour
1+1/2 tsp. bakin powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 c. raisins
2 c. zucchini, minced (the hell with that - I grated mine)

 How to:
350 degrees 35 minutes (I'm not kiddin (for once) - that's literally all she wrote. Luckily, I'm a pretty good baker, so I did what came naturally and creamed the butter and sugars, added the eggs and vanilla, sifted together the dry ingredients in a separate bowl, gradually mixed them into the wet ingredients, folded in the raisins and zucchini, and then spread it all into a greased 9x13 pan. These are bars, after all. The lack of instructions are mysterious; this recipe falls at the bottom of a cookbook page, so I have to wonder whether the publisher was just like "screw it" and left the remainder of the recipe off in order to not have the text stretch over two pages, or whether the author of the recipe just assumed that everyone knows how to bake so the actual steps for makin these bars were unnecessary. Either way, the instructions are...how you say? "Weak sauce.")

The verdict:
I can say that these smelled pretty good while they were bakin. 35 minutes didn't seem to be quite enough time; the top was still a little light when I pulled them out, so I popped them back in the oven for another 5 minutes. The result? A flaky, buttery, not-too-sweet bar perfect for breakfast. It's got vegetables in it so it must be good for you, right?

No comments: