Tuesday, January 8

Canned Fish / Tastes Like Salmon

Happy New Year! Since we're in the doldrums of winter, I started thinkin about all the folks who canned their garden produce last Fall, and feelin a little jealous because mine's all gone. (Well, relatively gone - I still have an enormous bag of zucchini stowed in the freezer. <SIGH>) Anyway, this got me thinkin about cannin, and I thought, well, maybe if I could find some good classic cannin recipes in the Midwest Cookin compendiums, maybe next Fall I'd try cannin again.

Then I came across this recipe.

I don't have a very strong stomach in the mornin, so I'm tryin not to imagine in too great of detail just what this would taste like (I'm not buyin the "Tastes Like Salmon" assurance in the recipe's title). Warnin to my readers with weak mornin tummies like me: save this one for after lunch, or if you need an excuse to get out of work/school.

I'm gonna try and write this now without pukin.

Ingredients:
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. vinegar
1/2 tsp. butter (I wish it was oleo. :_()
1 Tbsp. catsup (Mmmm...butter and catsup. Honey Boo Boo would like this.)
Bullheads, or other fish, cut in pieces (The church cookbook where I found this recipe is pretty old, and at first glance I read it as "Buttheads". Now that would be a cool fish.)

How to:
Put in pint jars. (Okay, but do I have to do somethin with the ingredients first? Like, oh I dunno, mix them together or cook them?) Process 90 minutes at 15 pound pressure. (That's it?!? No further instructions? Ugh...I keep picturin the pinkish mess of this, jarred and sittin on a shelf. I bet it looks like somethin you'd find in a Biology classroom, like a fetal pig. Oh god I am about to hurl...) Serve with vinegar like salmon. (I don't know about you, but I haven't come across a whole lot of salmon served "with vinegar". Sure, I've had Japanese-style salmon served with a sake-rice vinegar mix, but this is Midwest Cookin, so I will assume, based on my studies, that the intended vinegar is one of the two kinds that grace the pantries and recipe cards of Midwest cooks: cider vinegar and white vinegar. Maybe the recipe means malt vinegar, like with fish n' chips? Regardless, yuck.)

The verdict:
No way am I makin this. You do it (and don't forget to send pics and taste test results to hamtasia(at)gmail(dot)com).

No comments: