Tuesday, January 29

Super Macaroni Salad

I went to the Hy-Vee today to get some groceries before SnowIcepocalypse 2013 hits, and one of the items on my list was pasta. As I stood in the aisle, contemplatin the many kinds of pastas displayed before me, I happened to notice that my neighborhood Hy-Vee carries about 30 different kinds of macaroni, despite often lackin the specific type of pasta called for in a recipe that I'm makin. I thought for awhile about why this might be, and then it dawned on me: macaroni is a staple of Midwest Cookin!

What would Hamburger Helper be without macaroni? Or goulash? Or (duh) macaroni n' cheese? I didn't know pasta salads could be made with any variety besides macaroni until I went to college.

And now, with that in mind, and in honor of what, last week, would have been the 60th birthday of my Dad (who would only eat two kinds of pasta: macaroni and spaghetti), I present to you what can surely be called the quintessential Midwest pehstuh sayahled (say that out loud, won't you?): Super Macaroni Salad!

Ingredients:
1 lb. uncooked macaroni (elbow style, cooked, drained, & cooled) (I dare you to use another pasta variety!)
1 large onion (diced) (woah - a whole raw LARGE diced onion? ugh, blecch, I can feel my breath gettin bad already)
1 large green pepper (diced) (the amount of raw vegetables in this is surprisin for a Midwest pasta salad - check it out:)
1 c. celery (diced)
5-6 carrots (grated)
1 c. vinegar (but what kind, Gladys?!?)
1/3 c. sugar
2 c. Miracle Whip (yay! it's been so long since I've posted a Miracle Whip recipe!)
1 can Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk (very specific on the brand there - use Borden at your own peril)
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

How to:
Mix well together (in a big-ass bowl, I'm guessin) addin macaroni last. Makes A hugh salad (uh...not sure what a hugh salad is there...sounds dirty and/or sadly reclusive; if the word HUGE was intended, then I'm callin this a straight-up Lutheran Potluck classic). It will keep for at least 10 days in the refrigerator. (mmm...week-and-a-half old pasta salad...)

No comments: