Friday, September 28

Poor Man's Stroganoff

One of my favorite things about Midwest Cookin is how, simply by changin the title of a recipe, a dish can go from bein "Half-assed, Inadequate Stroganoff" to bein "Poor Man's Stroganoff". But really, I don't see anythin in this recipe that makes it truly worthy of the Poor Man's title. Maybe I'm not familiar enough with "Rich Man's Stroganoff", but as far as I know, Stroganoff in general is not made with gold flakes and kobe beef.

This recipe was submitted to the blog by Mrs. Gertrude Black. (She sure knows her poor folks' food!)

Ingredients:
1/2 c. minced onion (oh, do be a super-cheap dear and use the dried kind as well, won't you?)
1 clove garlic, minced (only one clove - we don't want to just throw money away here!)
1/4 c. butter (you can always use oleo if it's on sale)
1 lb. ground chuck (correct me if I'm wrong, but "chuck" is like the crappiest meat you can get, right? so THAT'S where the 'Poor Man' in the title is comin from!)
2 Tbsp. flour
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 lb. fresh mushrooms or 1 (8 oz.) can mushrooms (oh for crimeny sakes, don't waste $2.00 on fresh mushrooms when you can get the canned ones for 50 cents!)
1 can cream of chicken soup (ugh. even the name of that shit makes me urp.)
1 c. sour cream (hmmm...that better be cheap sour cream...if I just let some old milk sit out on the counter for a few days, won't that be the same?)

How to:
Saute onion and garlic in butter. Add meat and brown. Add flour, salt, pepper and mushrooms. Cook 5 minutes. Ad ([sic]) soup and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Stir in sour cream. (Yuck. Won't the last-minute sour cream make the soup get cold? Blecch. I'm not feelin so hot. I seriously have to go puke now. Our new slogan: "It's not H1N1 - it's Midwest Cookin!")

No comments: